Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Truth Conquers All

Time: 18 minutes
Mileage: 802.3

You know those little Christian fish insignias that people like to put on the back of their cars? Those things are fine by me - whatever you want to put on the back of your car, I suppose. And then they advanced to feature the word "Truth" in the middle of it - also fine. A bit more forceful, but still fine. And then some hippie came out with the little fish with legs on it that said "Darwin". I liked that one. And then some hippie came out with the fish with legs on it that said "Darwin" that was eating the Christian fish that said "Truth". So you know where the logical conclusion for all of this lies:

I saw one of these on a car that was in front of me this morning, and in between cursing at the biting cold and trying not to hit any black ice, it occurred to me that this particular iteration of the fish bumper thingy might not be relaying the correct message for its intended audience.

To wit:

The bumper thingy where the Darwin fish is eating the Truth fish is (I believe) intending to make the joke that not only has the fish evolved and grown legs, but it is fulfilling Darwin's theory that the most well-adapted species will thrive over those not so well-adapted.

So when the Truth fish eats the Darwin fish...aren't the Christians kinda proving the hippies' point? I'm not totally sure how an animal with no eyes, no fins, no visible means of locomotion is better adapted for the rugged environment of being glued to the back of a Saturn, but it appears as though that is one tough fish.

And if that isn't the case, then what are we to assume? That the Truth fish was not truly superior to the Darwin fish, it was just really really hungry and got kinda lucky?

I dunno, but I think any of these would be a preferable alternative:

0 comments: