Friday, October 3, 2008

Every. Single. One.

Time:  No idea, maybe 27 minutes?

Mileage: 650.9

Today I hit every single red light between home and work.  I mean every one.  Take a look at the map, and count the number of intersections you see, and multiply by 25, and that's how many red lights I hit this morning.

Its very strange, but I can always tell how annoying my commute is going to be by the time I turn onto MLK.  If I have to stop and wait for the medical students to cross the street, and the right-hand lane is backed up through two lights, its going to be rough.

I did get to pull one of my favorite scooter  moves, however - at the end of MLK there was  a backup due to two double-length buses basically running a red light, turning left, and blocking the entire intersection.  Its unbelievable the balls on these MTA bus drivers - they will back up traffic for two miles if it means them getting through a light on time.  

Anyway, I was about two cars back from the intersection, we hadn't moved, and the light was turning yellow.  So I squeezed in between the curb and the two cars in front of me and scooted on through the intersection.  Now, before you say what I know you're going to say, let me tell you that I know how hypocritical I am even while I'm doing this.  If I was waiting for the light and some punk kid on a scooter buzzed by me on the right, I would be enraged.  I might even try to pull to the right a bit to cut him off.  But that's one of the beautiful things about being on a scooter - a. you can get away with it, and b. fuck it.

I know one of these days I'll piss the wrong person off and they'll get out of their car and break my scooter in half and give me a really bad indian burn or something, but man - its fun to do.

0 comments: