Friday, November 21, 2008

My Vices, Part 5,743


I love the TV show 24.

I should not love the TV show 24.

But I do. I relish every moment. I make it into a weekly event. I get into the plot lines. I think about it all day Monday. I go to the damn show's website. I want to be Jack Bauer. I want my daughter to be as hot as Elisha Cuthbert:





No, wait. Maybe not. That's weird.

Anyway, what is remarkable about the fact that I worship 24 (which is really not all that remarkable, considering it is one of the most popular shows on TV), is that I really don't like TV all that much. I don't really watch much TV outside of The Office, Dirty Jobs, Nova, Bizarre Foods, and baseball. And even those shows I have to Tivo because I can't stand to sit through the commercials, let alone schedule time to sit down and watch a show on their time.

But I will for 24.

Another interesting facet of this is that I really don't like action shows on TV. Mostly because they suck. I don't really watch CSI or Law & Order or NYPD Blue or Magnum PI or whatever is on these days. I like informational documentaries on everyday things. Its just like my love for non-fiction books. But man, there's nothing I like more than Jack Bauer simultaneously texting the President, defusing a bomb, and assassinating a terrorist all while having a gaping, gushing wound, not having slept for a 24 hours, and driving a huge SUV over a cliff.

It is so rediculous, it's awesome.

I guess that's it...it is so far over the top that I have to love it. Every week is an absolute manufactured cliff-hanger. You know its coming, but you watch anyway. The writers of 24 LOVE to fuck with you - giving you clues that don't mean anything, giving you long, dramatic pauses that don't lead to anything, cutting to commercial right when something awesome is about to happen. Incredible show.

So I'm going to watch it again beginning this Sunday and will give updates on this blog on Mondays.

But really I just wanted to post a picture of Elisha Cuthbert on this blog.

/oggles

1 comments:

Chris Heppding said...

I have often compared 24 to the old show MacGuyver. They have somewhat parallel themes. If you like 24, you would also like Prison Break, probably my favorite show on TV.